With all the talk in the news about a possible government shutdown, questions have come up about what kind of affect this will have on the men and women of the Oregon National Guard, and the services the Oregon Guard provides to the citizens of Oregon.
Below, we have prepared an overview of how our force may be affected if the Continuing Resolution is not passed by Congress by the midnight deadline tonight.
Sixty percent of the Oregon National Guard is full-time AGR, or Active Duty Guard/Reserve, whose salaries are paid for by the Federal Government, and are "on the clock" 24/7. The other 40 percent are Federal Technicians, who work as full-time salaried employees, but have normal daytime work hours, just like those in a civilian company.
In the event of a government shutdown, 10 percent of these Federal Technicians will be required to stay on and work their normal duty hours. These personnel are considered "essential employees," and defined as those who are important to keeping the organization running, or who have critical jobs having to do with public safety and security.
Regardless of the outcome of the Continuing Resolution, our priorities remain:
1. Continue to meet the needs of the state and nation, including those in overseas theater of operations.
2. Units which are preparing to mobilize will continue to do so.
3. Our support of the Oregon Office of Emergency Management will continue with 24/7 operations in the Joint Operations Center (JOC).
4. Training sites throughout the state will continue to be manned appropriately.
5. In the event of an emergency (natural or man-made), Oregon National Guard members will be recalled to duty as deemed appropriate by the particular mission requirements.
If you have any questions about the information provided here in this post, please feel free to contact the Oregon Military Department Public Affairs Office at: 503-584-3917.
As always, the Oregon National Guard is a 'ready' and 'reliable' force. We thank you for your continuing understanding and support.
The Oregon National Guard: "Always Ready, Always There."