Three former commanders of the St. Helens unit pose below a picture and plaque of MSG Gunnar P. Larson, of whom the St. Helens Armory was named in honor, following the official open house, Oct. 22. From left to right are: Capt. (ret.) Jack Tice; Lt. Col. (ret.) Clyde Boddington, who commanded the unit from 1953-1962; and Lt. Col. (ret.) Clyde Reynolds, who commanded the unit from 1964 to 1968. Larson joined the Oregon National Guard’s 162nd Infantry in 1925, and later served in the Pacific Theater during WWII, where he earned two Bronze Stars. Following WWII, he returned to the St. Helens unit, working as the armory’s full time administrative technician for 17 years. The facility was renovated and upgraded using “green” technology and materials through the Armory Service Life Extension Program, which addressed older, undersized armories. (U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Nick Choy, Oregon Military Department Public Affairs).