Friday, January 29, 2010

Oregon Air Guard Command Chief plans to "plunge" into volunteerism

Chief Master Sgt. Max White (right), with several other airmen from the 142nd Fighter Wing, after taking the plunge in the frigid waters of the Columbia River in 2009. This year, a number of Oregon Air Guard members will join the estimated 250 plungers on Saturday, Jan. 30, in an event to benefit the Special Olympics.


My body may be cold, but my heart will be warm as I plunge into the frigid Columbia River on Saturday morning.

I will be part of the 142 Fighter Wing Redhawk Group that has raised roughly $10,000 for Oregon Special Olympics. Last year we had about a dozen plungers from the 142 FW, but this year I am anticipating around 50 brave souls to show up. And we will be part of a larger sea of hundreds of selfless folks who have raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for this most worthy cause.

The driving force for the 142 FW Redhawks is Staff Sgt. Jarrod Johnson of the Security Forces Squadron. His almost insane enthusiasm for this cause is contagious. He and Master Sgt. Matt Kochosky of the Operations Group convinced me to take part in this event last year.

Now I am determined to participate every year, and will continue to be a huge proponent of this event. As Command Chief for the 142nd Fighter Wing, one of my top priorities is community service. I should add that it is just as important for our Oregon Air Guard Commander, Brig. Gen. Bruce Prunk, and our 142nd Fighter Wing Commander, Col. Mike Stencel.

Moreover, volunteerism is a prime example of the second core value of the Air Force; Service Before Self.

I have butterflies just thinking about this event! I can hardly wait!


Chief Master Sgt. Max White,
142nd Fighter Wing Command Chief

Chief White did this last year as well. To see the blog post, go here.

Proceeds raised from this event benefit The Special Olympics. If you want more information on the Polar Plunge in Portland, which is scheduled to take place at Broughton Beach in the Columbia River, Saturday, Jan. 30, go here.

No comments: